October 19, 2009

Upon This Rock

The other day I went to attend a function, but found myself nowhere near the location I should have been and if I did find it I would have been quite late. So, having driven all that way, I went on another sort of drive. I headed south toward the shoreline and ended up in Mystic, Ct. I never did reach the ocean because I was having a delightful time taking scenic roads where I came across this shell of a house.

It's private property so there was no getting up close and personal and no sign to reveal if this was an aged building or what.


This one is of a well off to the side of the shell of a house. One thing I always find interesting is the history of buildings. There are some remarkable builders from long ago that built some beautiful buildings. Unlike today where it's built for monetary gain rather than leaving a mark for further generations. Here is a shell of a building built of stone that is still standing today, who knows how long it's been there. It reminds me of the Gospel where Jesus says in the Gospel of Matthew 7:24-29 the following, 24 Every one therefore that heareth these my words, and doth them, shall be likened to a wise man that built his house upon a rock, 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell not, for it was founded on a rock. 26 And every one that heareth these my words, and doth them not, shall be like a foolish man that built his house upon the sand, 27 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and they beat upon that house, and it fell, and great was the fall thereof. 28 And it came to pass when Jesus had fully ended these words, the people were in admiration at his doctrine. 29 For he was teaching them as one having power, and not as the scribes and Pharisees.

Each day as we go about on our own journey, how often do we apply the Scripture to our day. When we see long forgotten rock foundations while driving down rural back roads what comes mind. The people who once lived there, how did they live, what type of home was it, were they happy, so many questions I'm sure invade our thoughts when we see these things. A good question can also be asked, what does it also remind about faith. I know I'm an unusual person to associate the Bible and scripture to what I see daily, but you see, I don't have a home of my own in the physical sense, but I do have a spiritual home that is built on solid rock. Not just a shell but a living home filled with the splendor of God's love. What type of home have you built?

0 Words of Wisdom:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...