October 23, 2008

Today

It's been a bit of a change in schedule around here. My mom ended up in the hospital since the early hours of Monday morning. She is in good spirits, never a dull moments in the hospital. The trick is keeping my dad on his toes. Making sure he takes his medicine and eats. My mom had the chore of a lifetime making sure he does it. We had one morning that he didn't take his meds and all he did was sleep. That clued us in that he didn't take them on his own. The tough part is going to be while I go to work, he will be alone for a few hours. But my sister and I arranged it that she would pick him up and take him to the hospital to see my mom. And I would go after work. She gets out earlier than I do, so he won't be alone too long during the day.

I'm discovering a whole new world taking care of parents when one is away. My mom, she has the care of the nurses right now. Dad is a whole new ball game. We never understand how another goes through their day until we walk in their shoes for awhile. The same goes for Jesus, we don't know how much he truly has suffered unless we are willing to take up our crosses and walk right along side him. In our world we all want the easy way. The no hassle life. No one is willing to give up anything for another. One thing about leaning to walk in anothers shoes, it's understanding their pain in a better light. Compassion and love grow stronger.

At Church even kneeling has been tough for me and I too now understand how many in this world suffer injured knees or debilitating joint pain. It's seeing the suffering of others when we suffer our own pain to know the love of God because he suffers along with us.

2 Words of Wisdom:

Anonymous said...

"walking in another's shoes"...reminds me of To Kill a Mockingbird, one of my all time favorite books. I'm so sorry about your mom, but it's wonderful and inspiring that your family is close and that you and your sister do your parts. There are so many elderly folks who have no one..In Italy they say "a mother can take care of 10 kids, but sometimes 10 kids won't take care of a mother".

Marie Cecile said...

I think I've seen that movie long time ago when I used to watch tv. My mom, thankfully is doing well.It wasn't just rallying around and for my mom it was also to see to my dad and take some of the burden from him.

Pia, I'm surprised about large families, that at least there would be many that would see to the care of their elders. But then again, bringing up family ends up with the eldest of the kids to oversee the young ones. Maybe that's why they end up not taking care of their own parents. And then again it could be something else entirely, only they know themselves.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...