April 05, 2007

The Cross

Tonight at the Mass of the Last Supper, we watched the re-enactment of the washing of the feet. It brought to mind my younger years. Our Parish had the Crucifix on one of the columns where we could venerate the feet of Jesus. At that time also we used to kneel to receive communion along the Altar rail.

I was sitting here reflecting on the many times I loved touching the feet of Jesus on that Crucifix. The Crucifix is no longer there, nor is the altar rail. The Crucifix hangs from the ceiling in front of the Altar where no one can touch him. I remember how saddened I was when I could no longer kiss the foot of Jesus. It's funny but I would often stop at the Church just to do this as a kid and young adult.

Once the renovation happened something became lost. I don't know if it was devotion to the Cross because of no longer being able to touch it, but I know that a change did happen. And part of it was also my growing up and growing away too, and that for me is the saddest part of my life. Was not being an active Catholic in the faith. Faith was there but not in the way it should have been. I no longer kick myself or beat myself up for that transgression, which is a good thing. God forgives and so must I and I have.

0 Words of Wisdom:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...