December 06, 2006

Flesh of his Flesh

When I was writing the reflection this morning I was remembering the many times when I received communion and the host would turn to flesh on my tongue. I don't chew the host, what I do is let it rest upon my tongue, while I pray and reflect upon the very host I received. I would just let Jesus do what he does best and let him invade my whole being. It is by the way a very nice invasion. I couldn't think of any other way of putting it.

Anyway back to communion, there were times the host turned to flesh and swelled up and pulsated, it was wonderful when he did that. And I can tell you there is a difference when he manifests himself in such a way too. I can understand why people tend to think he isn't in the host when it disolves into nothing. But it's possible to tell when he is missing from the bread, the consecration itself did not bring him. I have felt that at times when receiving the host it was as if it were empty. But how is that possible when it is consecrated, unless the hands were tainted or their mind truly was not there to bring our Lord upon the most and powerful act of grace.

Or it maybe myself also not in tune with our Lord at those times. None of us are perfect, we all have sin within us, even when we try not to sin. There is usually something that will catch us up, and it is up to us to remove it and keep our hearts clean to receive him always. At least I try my very best to be what God wants of me. I pray that each day I do his will and not my own, and that he will continue to speak to my heart and soul.

4 Words of Wisdom:

Anonymous said...

I've never experienced such a blessing MC, it must be incredible. I've seen photographs of Pope John Paul II with a Korean woman who experiences this. In one photo he is looking into her mouth, and in another taken from behind him you can see the host and blood in her mouth. I don't know what the Pope thought of this or what he said to her.
I am confused about your post when you say "But it's possible to tell when he is missing from the bread, the consecration itself did not bring him. I have felt that at times when receiving the host it was as if it were empty. But how is that possible when it is consecrated, unless the hands were tainted or their mind truly was not there to bring our Lord upon the most and powerful act of grace."

Our faith tells us that He is there each time the host is consecrated. If He were to take the holiness or the concentration of the priest into account, He'd probably never come, precisely because no human being can be deemed worthy. I do agree that when we get that empty feeling it is probably we that are out of tune with Him and this may have an effect on what we feel when we receive Him.
However, I read that Mother Theresa of Calcutta spent 50 years in total spiritual darkness, where her mind told her God didn't even exist and consequently she felt nothing when she received Him. To survive this total abandonment of her soul she remained faithful in the "little things": prayer, adoration, Mass and Holy Communion. This faithfulness made her one of the greatest saints ever to my mind. It is also very close to my experience in the sense that I have never "felt" anything but out of synch when I receive Communion. I don't know why, and it is a cause of great pain for me, but I've come to accept that that is the way it is right now. I hope it will change, and I hope I will remain faithful, even though I do not go to adoration every day, my prayer time is reduced to a bare minimum and I have to literally drag myself out of the house to go to Mass on Sunday.

Maybe it's not about us or the priest, but about Him fulfilling His promise to come in our midst whenever two or more are gathered in His name?

Marie Cecile said...

I don't know FMN, I know it's possible at those times he hides himself to let us know how true a miracle the Eucharist is.

When I wrote about the possiblity of his presence being absent due to tainted hands etc, even from ourselves it was just coming out of nowhere when I wrote.

Sometimes I'm not aware of what I write until after. It just comes.

I didn't know that about Mother Theresa. I don't read very much about the lives of those who are Blessed or Saints, unless it is necessary to read.

FMN, when you go to communion, be still in your mind and heart. Ask for the grace to feel his presence in this wonderful sacrament with absolute faith that he will do it for you. It may not be right away but you will be given what you ask for in faith.

Anonymous said...

I really hope I will one day be given what I ask in faith. As far as the lives of the saints is concerned, I've read quite a few books over the past 13 years since I came back to the Church. At times their example is encouraging, or thought provoking but other times I feel even more spiritually inept than I normally do.
Anyway, it's nice to be able to share these thoughts with you. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you do FMN, but I'm happy that you came back to the Church and to God. You have gone through very much in your life and he is your strength. Your faith is strong FMN, you already are listening to him, let him do the rest okay.

God love you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...